Ustream.tv has a few big advantages:
- No special software needed to broadcast or to view (beyond Flash)
- Easy-to-use interface
- It's been running since 2007 - this is a good record for such a service
- "Users can broadcast events to an audience of unlimited size, and enable interaction through chat and Social Stream" (from their website)
- A player can be embedded directly into your own website
- Free! This is key in Bhutan, not so much because it saves money but because it means that a credit card is unnecessary (given that there are no credit cards here)
You might ask what is Ustream's business model if this is all free. The answer is advertising, and as in many other "freemium" services, they also offer a more elaborate paid version called Watershed.
Ustream.tv is a really cool option not only for small radio stations but also for journalists on the go, who have a laptop with mobile Internet connection, a microphone and a webcam. No need for a camera crew in order to report live!